Thursday 13 February 2014

If only there was a degree in procrastination

My friend Emma 'working' at the library.
I was going to write a post about freshers week and what to expect, but for some strange reason there are large gaps in my memory. So instead I thought it would only be appropriate to talk about everyones favourite thing to do, procrastination. Before I started university I can honestly say procrastination was not a big part of my life but times have changed.

 I am only a first year student so I understand that I do not have the right to complain about assignments, unless I want to be hunted down and hated by every second and third year at my university. For some reason I could sit there for hours with absolutely nothing to do but when I get told I have an assignment, at that very moment I seem to want to stare out my window and think about life and my place in society or download a free months trial of Netflix and try to watch a whole series of Breaking Bad in a day; in case you were wondering it is possible.



Before I arrived at university I looked at advice pages and twitter posts from first year students.  There were many tweets that I found funny but there seemed to be a recurring theme. One said: “university is like being a child again, you watch Disney movies all day in your onesie and nap.” I thought this was amusing, never did I think it was actually true. I can’t seem to cope without a nap in between lectures.

A great benefit of doing a degree in Journalism is that I have found a way I can watch Disney movies in my onesie yet actually do work at the same time. An important part of my degree is something called shorthand. We are constantly told to practise shorthand in our spare time, most probably during lectures but just in case I cannot read it back, I think good practise is watching something like the Lion king and just writing down what Simba says in shorthand. Technically it makes good practise and I don’t feel so bad for procrastinating.

I’m not sure how to finish this post, as yet again if I am being totally honest I wrote this post in two instalments because I had to catch up on the latest episode of TOWIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment